A diet alkaline is a diet that emphasizes, in varying degrees on fresh fruit, vegetables, roots and tubers, nuts and vegetables.
Our ancestors hunter-gatherers consumed a diet very different from what is typical today, because the diet is based in minimally processed foods, but with the advent of agriculture, the western diet was changed completely, as:
* The Grains were introduced in the diet after the emergence of stone tools, of refined grains or flour after the invention of the milling.
* Milk, cheese and other dairy products were introduced with the domestication of animals.
* The salt consumption increased when the technology, the process and the transport were made possible.
* The meat consumption increase with the breeding of animals, also its largest increase occurred with the arrival of the technology that allowed feeding livestock in an efficient manner with the grains, allowing the fattening faster, and leading to higher consumption.
* The sugar consumption increased since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.
Almost all the food we eat, after being digested, absorbed and metabolized, released either an acid or base alkaline (bicarbonate) in blood.
Grains, fish, meat, poultry, seafood, cheese, milk, salt are products generators of acids, so that the introduced through the dramatic increase in consumption acidification organic, and the western diet is typified by the more acidic.
The consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables diminish the acidity thus promoting health, our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal level of pH of between 7.35 and 7.45.
The theory behind the alkaline diet is based on this fact; therefore our diet should reflect the level of alkaline pH (as it did in the past). The proponents of the diets alkaline believe that a diet rich in acid alter that balance and promotes the loss of essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium, because the body tries to restore the balance, leading to deficiencies that translate later in the disease, which develops in an acid environment.